Thursday, September 3, 2009

What I'm Reading...

Just thought you'd like to know a little of what I'm up to...

In Literature: The Iliad
In Philosophy: Plato (we just finished Euthyphro and The Apology)
History: The Holy Bible (we just finished Ecclesiastes and Job)
Theology: The Catechism of the Catholic Church
Latin and Statistics: Textbooks (smile :)

A few notes on the book of Job (see if you can find passages in Job to back up answers to these questions):
Is Satan real?
Does he want to destroy good and blameless men?
Can we fight against him?
Is there purpose to suffering?
Is suffering strictly a result of serious personal sin or can the just suffer?

We discussed these and many more questions today in History class!

Mystery quote for the day (who can be the first to identify?):
"The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!"

Please say a little prayer for a special intention I have today. Thanks!

~Sarah

5 comments:

Rose Marchen said...

Job, i'm guessing?

Miss Laura said...

Which translation of the Illiad are you reading?

Prayers for our Pro-Life club would be helpful - we want to go official and seem to running into a ton of problems...

~Laura

Claire said...

You're sure ahead of me in the reading department, Sarah! I only hope I don't feel too uneducated around you...

That quote would be Job, for sure. After every one of his many trials.

I had a nice chat with Grandma this afternoon and told her you're doing well. She was canning salsa. :)

There was quite a turnout of homeschool families at the Sniegowski wake tonight (I typed "hs families" first, but that looked too much like "high school"). Bermans even came out with baby Joaquin!

Sorry we missed your call...I was really missing you today when I wanted to just run upstairs and bounce an idea off of you and realized with a start (again) that I couldn't. :( Mom and V are great, but not quite the same for when I'm "visioning" something! I'm used to time going by really quickly, but somehow it doesn't seem as quick when you're missing someone. I mean, has it been only two weeks? Six more to go before I see you seems like a LONG time right now!

Love you!!!

Claire said...

I should have put a wink after the first mini-paragraph. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah!


I echo Miss L's statement above: Which translation of the Illiad?

In one of my English classes we studied the Illiad for a bit. the translation we had was by Robert Fagles (Penguin books 1998) Are you studying the background of the Illiad as well? it has a very interesting history on how it was written down.

we did several "unpacking" excercises where we looked at certain passages and tried to find a theme in them or analyze part of the text (kinda hard to explain in a comment). Some of the more interesting passages that we did was when Achilles first has an argument with Meneleas (I think) and also when Ajax and some of the other Greeks try to pursuade Achilles to fight in the battle. Hector is another interesting character. You must be having some pretty interesting discussions.

Sorry to have such a long comment... Sounds like you're having fun!

~Miss Mary